Rice has offered courses in the humanities since its founding in 1912. In the first decades of Rice Institute, the main humanities courses were in Latin, French, Spanish, German, philosophy, history, poetry, psychology, and English. Until 1979, humanities and social science faculty and courses were combined in one school; in that year the School of Social Sciences was established separately.
Today, the School of Humanities houses eight academic departments, four centers that bring together faculty for interdisciplinary research, teaching, publications, or other activities, and eight smaller-scale interdisciplinary programs. A fifth center, the Center for Languages and Intercultural Communication (CLIC), offers instruction in languages, both at Rice and abroad.
Of course, these accreted gradually over the years. The timeline below highlights some key moments in the development of today's School of Humanities.