Learning languages can take you far and allow you to have a positive impact on society.
- Visit different countries and connect meaningfully with locals;
- Learn more about other cultures and societies;
- Live or study abroad;
- Connect to your roots by deepening your knowledge of the language of your ancestors;
- Invest in your professional future with a certificate that attests to your knowledge of a second language;
- Understand the needs of and better serve your future Spanish-speaking clients and patients and their communities.
Through the Center for Languages and Intercultural Communication you can:
- Learn one or more of the 10 languages we teach;
- Study abroad and complete six credits in six weeks in one of our summer Rice in Country programs;
- Talk to native speakers in the language you are learning without leaving campus;
- Complete our Certificate in Language and Intercultural Communication and have your proficiency in the second language appear on your transcript;
- Take a course in medical Spanish, Chinese or Spanish for heritage learners, accelerated Portuguese for Spanish speakers or accelerated Italian for speakers of Spanish or French.
Languages we teach:
Arabic | Chinese | French | German | Italian | Japanese | Korean | Portuguese | Russian | Spanish
Rice in Country programs:
Rice in Egypt | Rice in Taiwan | Rice in France | Rice in Germany | Rice in Italy | Rice in Japan | Rice in Korea | Rice in Portugal | Rice in Costa Rica | Rice in Spain
Start your language learning journey by visiting our website and taking the language placement test. The earlier you start the more opportunities you will have.